The Board of Education held its Regular Meeting on Wednesday, May 6,
2009. The business and personnel items were approved in their
entirety. In addition to the regular business, the Board of Education
took action on the following items:
- Approved 9 mini-contracts.
- Accepted the recommendations from the Committee on Special Education.
- Established The Danny Starker Memorial Scholarship Fund.
- Accepted as a 1st reading revised Policy 4321.4, Independent Educational Evaluations.
- Appointed 2009 summer school supervisors.
- Approved coaching assignments for the 2008-09 school year.
- Approved budget transfers greater than $50,000.
- Approved an Eastern Suffolk BOCES Cooperative Bidding resolution.
- Approved an increase in rate of pay for a defensive driving instructor.
- Appointed Lead Nurse for the 2009-10 school year.
- Appointed AP Test Coordinators for the 2009-10 school year.
- Appointed Deans and Department Chairpersons for the 2009-10 school year.
- Appointed secondary Collaborative Model Coaches.
- Approved a temporary stipend.
- Approved payment to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt School Publishers.
- Appointed a Sachem Teacher Center Staff member.
- Approved a resolution to reappoint emergency conditional appointments.
- Approved a resolution establishing the date of the Annual Reorganization Meeting on July 14, 2009.
- Approved a resolution establishing two salutatorians at Sachem East.
The Board of Education has scheduled the following meetings:
Annual District Meeting – Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - there will be a
vote on the 2009-10 school budget and election of members of the Board
of Education at the 12 elementary schools between the hours of 6 am and 9
Work Session Meeting – Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 8 pm in the Board Room at Samoset Middle School.
Regular Meeting – Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 8 pm in the Board Room at Samoset Middle School.
The Board recognized:
1. Deborah Valenzuela – Social Worker of the Year
2. Roseann Pafumi – Tecumseh Hero
The Board discussed:
1. Public Hearing on the 2009-10 School Budget
2. Community Education/Child Care/Use of Facilities
3. Secondary English Curriculum
4. EXCEL Construction Update