The Board of Education held its Public Hearing and Regular Meeting on
Tuesday, May 8, 2008. The business and personnel items were approved
in their entirety. In addition to the regular business, the Board of
Education took action on the following items:
- Approved 7 mini-contracts.
- Accepted the recommendations from the Committee on Special Education.
- Accepted as a 1st reading revised Policy #1500 - Public Use of School Facilities.
- Adopted as a 2nd reading (a) revised Policy #5220 -
School-Sponsored Student Expression, (b) new Policy #5225 - Student
Personal Expression, and (c) revised Policy #5420 - Student Health
- Approved 2008-09 and 2007-08 proposed field trips.
- Approved translators/interpreters for 2007-08 school year.
- Appointed Advanced Placement Test Coordinators for 2008-09 school year.
- Appointed a lead nurse for the 2008-09 school year.
- Appointed principal aides and department chairpersons for 2008-09 school year.
- Adopted an Eastern Suffolk BOCES Cooperative Bidding resolution.
- Approved the issuance of Tax Anticipation Notes for 2008-09.
- Established an Angelica Nappi Memorial Scholarship Fund.
- Approved enrolling in a program with Energy Curtailment Specialists.
- Approved the fee for Suffolk County School Superintendents' Association Valedictorian Luncheon.
- Acknowledged with gratitude a donation by Sachem Youth Soccer League.
- Approved payment for chaperoning the 2008 senior class trip.
- Approved Special Education Provider for 611 and 619 Grants.
- Approved two budget transfers $50,000 or greater.
- Approved payment to Atlas Curriculum Mapping for a conference.
- Approved a resolution to reappoint emergency conditional appointments.
The Board of Education recognized:
1. Science Research Students
New York State Science and Engineering Fair
Long Island Science and Engineering Fair
2. Gary Asbell - EMT Services
3. David Steinberg - North - News 12 Scholar Athlete
4. Diane Ging - Retired Nokomis Teacher - Posthumous Honor
The Board of Education has scheduled the following meetings:
- Annual Meeting and Election - On Tuesday, May 20, 2008, there will
be a vote on the 2008-09 school budget and election of members of the
Board of Education at the 12 elementary schools between the hours of 6
am and 9 pm.
- The Board of Education will hold a Special Meeting on Tuesday, May
20, 2008 at 8 pm in the Nokomis Library. They will open the meeting and
immediately convene into executive session to discuss personnel
- The Board of Education will hold a Work Session on Thursday, June 5, 2008 at 8 pm at Samoset Middle School.
- The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 at 8 pm at Samoset Middle School.
The Board discussed the following:
- Public Hearing on 2008-09 School Budget
- Board of Education Regular Meetings - Policy 2310
- Zimmerman/Edelson - Public Relations Firm