The Board of Education held its Regular Meeting on Tuesday, April 15,
2008. The business and personnel items were approved in their
entirety. In addition to the regular business, the Board of Education
took action on the following items:
- Approved 7 mini-contracts.
- Accepted the recommendations from the Committee on Special Education.
- Approved School Aid Specialists.
- Approved budget transfers.
- Rescinded coaching assignments and approved coaching assignments for the 2007-08 school year.
- Approved 2007-08 proposed field trips.
- Accepted with gratitude the donation of Cayuga Playground Equipment from Senator Flanagan.
- Approved reimbursements for 2006-07 events.
- Approved to close the matter of Samantha Saunders.
- Accepted as a 1st reading revised Policy #5220 - School-Sponsored
Student Expression, new Policy 5225 - Student Personal Expression, and
revised Policy 5420 - Student Health Services.
- Approved the Notice of the budget vote and election of trustees and the rental of voting machines.
- Information was provided regarding the Notice of Public Hearing, Open Voter Registration and Absentee Ballots.
- Appointed Chief Election Inspectors and Assistant Clerks and Inspectors of Election.
- Accepted the notice of nominating petitions.
- Approved the purchase of OCE Copier.
- Approved the purchase of food service equipment for Cayuga, Hiawatha, and Sagamore.
- Accepted with gratitude the donation from Barnes and Noble Books for Chippewa.
- Accepted with gratitude a donation from Washington Mutual for Tecumseh.
- Approved School Medical Offices for the 2007-08 school year.
- Approved a resolution regarding a Civil Rights Complaint.
- Approved an additional appointment to the Committee on Special Education.
- Approved an Administrative Mentor.
- Approved a resolution to reappoint emergency conditional appointments.
The Board of Education recognized:
1. Sachem 5th Grade Spelling Bee Winners.
2. Cameron Gambler - Grade 6 - 1st Place - Technology Learning Contest
3. East Varsity Arrowettes
4. Jim Nolan - Administrator of the Year - Western Suffolk Counselors' Association.
The Board of Education has scheduled the following meetings:
- Regular Meeting on Tuesday, May 8, 2008 at 8 pm at Samoset Middle
School. At this meeting, there will be a public hearing on the 2008-09
- Annual Meeting and Election - On Tuesday, May 20, 2008, there will
be a vote on the 2008-09 school budget and election of members of the
Board of Education at the 12 elementary schools between the hours of 6
am and 9 pm.
The Board discussed the following:
- East Lockers
- Use of Facilities